Question: What’s the best vegan shampoo and conditioner?
There’s a few, but first, let’s look at why you should switch to a vegan alternative.
Already know about animal cruelty in the cosmetic industry? Skip to our vegan shampoo reviews.
Animal cruelty in the shampoo industry.
Most shampoos and conditioners, for the most part, are inherently vegan based on their ingredients. However, the problem lies within the clinical testing of these products before they hit the market.
They’re tested on animals, plain and simple.
But is it necessary? No, not legally at least.
The Federal Food & Drug Cosmetic Act does not specifically require the use of animals in testing cosmetics for safety, nor does the Act subject cosmetics to FDA premarket approval.1
What kind of tests are done on animals?
There’s a multitude of different tests subjected on different animals for various cosmetic products. Several of these tests are commonly performed by exposing rats, mice, guinea pigs, and rabbits to the ingredients inside cosmetics.
Some of my most common animal tests include:
- restraining rabbits without pain relievers to test for skin and eye irritation by rubbing chemicals onto their shaved skin or by dripping it into their eyes
- continuously force-feeding animals for weeks and months to look for signs of illness or specific health problems, like birth defects or cancer
- lethal dose testing where animals are forced to swallow large amounts of a cosmetic chemicals to see whether or not the dose can cause death
After testing is complete, the animals are killed.
They’re usually killed by neck-breaking, decapitation, or asphyxiation (choking). No pain relief is provided in these processes.2
A large percentage of animals used in cosmetic testing in the United States aren’t counted in official statistics reports so they don’t receive any protection under the Animal Welfare Act.
Do cruelty-free testing alternatives exist?
Cosmetics tested on animals and the marketing of cosmetics that have been tested on animals has been completely banned in the European Union.3
So how are European companies still selling shampoos and other cosmetics without the animal abuse? They’re using cruelty-free alternatives of course!
Here’s a list of how companies can in the United States can to the same.4
- use any of the thousands of ingredients already known to be safe instead of testing new ones(this is how many companies are phasing out animal testing)
- use non-animal tests on cosmetics (nearly 50 such tests already exist and are cheaper and more efficient compared to animal testing)
- test with advanced computer generated models of the human body
- test on healthy human tissues donated by volunteers
- invest in more cruelty-free testing techniques
It’s important to also note that any cosmetics tested on animals in the United States cannot be sold in Europe. This is more incentive for US companies to start looking toward manufacturing vegan shampoo and conditioners, along with other vegan cosmetics.
So then, what’s the best vegan shampoo and conditioner?
Maybe we got a bit sidetracked above, but it’s important to opt for vegan shampoo and conditioner over traditionally animal-tested counterparts.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the best cruelty-free shampoos available.
1. Beauty Without Cruelty Shampoo & Conditioner
Natural plan protein and selected vitamins from special botanicals help fortify and nourish every strand of your hair.
Premium and pure essentials oils are added to strengthen your hair, improve its looks, feel, texture, and provide a relaxing aroma-therapy experience.
This shampoo is recommended for daily use to make your hair feel healthy and beautiful, naturally.
- Inexpensive vegan shampoo
- Relaxing citrus aroma
- SLS, Paraban, & Gluten free
- Hair feels soft and silky
- pH balanced formula
- Complaints of dryness & dullness
- Should be paired with conditioner
2. Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner
They’re infused with organic jojoba oil to moisture your hair and scalp, leaving it looking and feeling healthier.
Its organic olive oil leaves you hair soft without weighing it down while the organic coconut oil softens and conations your scalp.
Finally, the organic shea butter helps your dry hair retain more moisture and the organic sunflower oil leaves it feeling light, silky, and soft.
- Vegan & gluten free
- Smells great
- Leaves hair shiny and healthy
- Work well together
- Complaints of hair drying out
3. Pureology Hydrate Shampoo & Conditioner
Its anti-fade complex gives you a rich lather while infusing your hair with its essential color retention and hydration formula.
Its formula is derived from corn, coconut, sugar, and natural plant extracts such as rose, sandalwood and green tea and aroma therapy essential oils.
- Vegan & sulfate free
- Protects color treated hair
- Great lavender scent
- Keeps hair healthy and clean
- Complaints of hair drying out
4. Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo & Conditioner
The products are made from the leaves of the melaleuca alternifolia tree. This native Australian tea tree’s oil have been used for centuries as medicine for coughs, cold, wound, and skin ailments.
The shampoo and conditioner are made with a combination of organic tea tree oil, pepperming, rosemary, eucalyptus, and thyme to heal and rejuvenate your hair and scalp while providing a relaxing aroma therapy scent.
- Affordable vegan haircare
- Heals hair and scalp
- Smells & works great
- Helps against dandruff
- More expensive online
- Complaints of hair drying
- Not gluten free
5. Nature’s Gate Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner
It’s SLS, sulfate, and paraben free and contains nutrients that promote healthy hair, such as tea tree oil, soy protein, vegetable protein, borage flower seed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin B5, vitamin E, and vitamin C.
It contains chamomile, balm mint, and hops to provide soothing comfort while its witch hazel and rosemary help reduce oil buildup in your hair. The vitamin B5 and protein strengthen your hair while adding shine, and the vitamin E and C work together to provide antioxidant benefits.
It’s ideal for daily use to give you a beautiful and healthy sheen every day.
- Vegan and cruelty free
- SLS, paraben & sulfate free
- Cost effective combo
- Smells great
- Heals psoriasis & dandruff
- Complaints of hair dryness
- Complaints of heavy conditioner